Friday, July 15, 2011

Homemade Ttv Filter

Since a very long time I wanted to have a Ttv of my own and more than possessing one, I wanted to create my own. Fortunately one day I discovered my grandpa's Brownie Reflex which had been buried and forgotten somewhere in the store room and all these years I had absolutely no knowledge of it. So when I found it, I decided to make what I had been desiring...Ttv!



So here's how I started:




I stared by surfing for some examples and learned that many people had used a cylindrical tube to make the attachment. I made a rectangular attachment but I wasn't happy with it because the shape was perfect for the brownie's rectangular surface (where I was supposed to attach the tube) but I wasn't comfortable when I tried inserting my other camera on the other end of the tube to click the photograph. hence I decided to use a cylinder.



Things required to make this attachment:

1. A cylindrical tube. (I have used a Pringles container. Paper roll tubes/shuttlecock container can also be used.)
2. Cloth tape/electrical tape.

3. Black tinted paper. (Any black Matt finish paper would do)
4. Cutter/Knife/Scissors.

5. Tin Cutter.

6. Scale/Pencil/Marker/Glue
7 Sanitizer and cotton cloth/cotton/paper towel. (To clean the lens)



Step 1: I cut the base of the cylinder with a tin cutter. This will give you a hollow tube.
---------------------




Step 2: The cylinder was bigger than the brownie's viewfinder so when I placed it on brownie, the remaining empty space had to be filled/covered. So I took the lid of the same Pringles cylinder, kept it on the brownie's viewfinder, marked the area that had to be cut and made a window out of it.
------------------

Step 3: Paste the inner side of the plastic lid with black paper. It will block the light and the extra empty space will eventually get covered. Fix the lid to the base of the pringles container. (I forgot to the click the photograph of the lid after covering it with the black sheet and also after fixing the lid to the container. : )

Step 4: Measure the circumference and the length of the cylinder and cut the black paper accordingly. You need to paste the paper inside the cylinder. This will make the cylinder darker.
---------------------



Step 5: Clean your camera. I opened almost all the parts of my brownie and cleaned it with sanitizer and paper towel. That was the best part of this project. :) I love dismantling things to observe whats inside.
-----------------------


Step 6: I needed some support at the top front of the brownie to fix the cylinder. Hence I folded some tinted paper and fixed it with some cloth tape.
----------------------


Step 7: I placed the cylinder on the viewfinder of the brownie and started fixing it with the cloth tape. Once it was done, I started with the second round with the electrical tape to make sure the cylinder doesn't come off.
---------------------------

Step 8: Its done! :D I took my other camera and started experimenting with my new Ttv attachment.



The images taken through Ttv are the mirror images. The above image has been clicked by standing in front of a mirror. So what I got here is not a mirror image but an actual one.

1 comment: